[Neos] [Team] Raising PHP requirement for Neos 1.2 to PHP 5.4

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu Jun 26 21:20:02 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 26-6-2014 15:01, Christian Müller wrote:
>> requirements for Neos 1.2 to PHP 5.4. PHP 5.3 is not supported
>> anymore anyway and it's 10 years old after all ...
>
> For me, yes please! +1
>
> BUT if we make that decision now, please lets communicate right away to
> give people time to prepare because even thou it is old and out of
> maintenance there are lots of servers around with it.

One thing that we encountered with TYPO3 CMS is the LTS version of
various OS distributions. Debian Squeeze will get security updates until
february 2016. Another peculiarity of these distributions is that they
often stick with the version of various tools that they originally
shipped. It looks like Debian Squeeze will stay with PHP 5.3  (currently
version 5.3.3-7+squeeze19).
They backport all patches for 5.3.x and most likely they will even
continue to do so with patches for 5.4 which do not introduce features.

People will need to upgrade their OS to be able to move to newer PHP
versions; most sysadmins will not want to install packages that are not
from the stable repository and will thus stay with something that is
identified as PHP 5.3.

(LTS versions seems to limit progress in software quite a bit IMO)

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!