[Neos] [UX] Is "Workspace" a too technical term

Michael Schams typo3.lists at 2014.trash.schams.net
Tue Jun 17 14:14:12 CEST 2014

On 17/06/14 21:43, Dominique Feyer wrote:

> [...] The user ask me « What’s a Workspace ? »
> I’m used to this term mostly because of the TYPO3 CMS. But a workspace
> is an other thing in real life.
[...]
> I’m really interested by your point on this subject.

Hi Dominique,

I don't think "workspace" is a wrong term in this context to be honest.

As far as I know (anyone, please correct me if I am wrong), workspaces
(from a technical view) come from the UNIX/Linux world, especially from
Windows Managers GNOME and KDE, where you can have multiple virtual
desktops, which are called workspaces [1].

A software called "VirtuaWin" implements this concept on Windows [2] and
they state: (quote) "A virtual desktop manager lets you organize
applications over several virtual desktops (also called 'workspaces')."

But a "workspace" is not a pure technical term: according to Oxford
Dictionaries [3], a workspace is a (quote) "space in which to work" -
which is exactly the purpose of workspaces in TYPO3 CMS and Neos. It is
an environment, a place, a space where editors edit/build/develop
something, for example the new content of the website.

I am happy to be convinced otherwise, but personally, I don't have a
problem with this term and I think our clients either (mainly English
native speakers, based in Australia).

Cheers
Michael

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_desktop