[Neos] [UX] Is "Workspace" a too technical term

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Jun 17 17:01:35 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 17-6-2014 13:43, Dominique Feyer wrote:
> After a nice meeting with a client around Neos, this strange idea
> just popup over my head. The user ask me « What’s a Workspace ? »
>
> I’m used to this term mostly because of the TYPO3 CMS. But a
> workspace is an other thing in real life. A common definition is:
>
> space used or required for one's work, as in an office or home.

The term is quite common in software:
- MS Excel : "a snapshot of the current layout of all open and arranged
workbook windows" [1]
- general descriptions [2]

In Neos it's your personal (or shared) area where you can work on
content that is not yet published to the live site.

It's not a bad term, but maybe the usability people have a better
alternative...

[1]
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/save-workbooks-in-an-arranged-workspace-HP010250051.aspx
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workspace