[Neos] Is Neos suitable for me?

Aske Ertmann aske at moc.net
Sat Jul 26 21:22:40 CEST 2014

Hi Szabolcs

First of all I’m glad to hear that you’re considering Neos as the framework for your solution and thanks for the kind words. The team is always interesting in helping out with bigger projects to help adoption of the product.

I’ll try to answer some of your questions, but for a project this size I would recommend getting an expert involved to give a professional assessment not limited by whoever has a little spare time to help. I know plenty of the guys from the Neos team are already doing similar consultancy through their respective agencies, including me. If this is something you’d like to try I’d recommend writing a new post to the mailing list asking those who consider themselves experts to get in contact with you and then you can choose whoever you deem a good fit.

Anyway regarding your questions.

Regarding packages it’s partly because there isn’t any overview of them yet. Work has been started for making that visible on the Neos website, but it’s still not finished. The easiest way to find packages is to use composers packagist.org, however their website is horrible for searching. However their JSON API will allow you to limit by package type, which gives a much better result. See https://packagist.org/search.json?type=typo3-flow

Then the other part is like Dominique mentioned that you don’t need packages for a lot of things. E.g. a blog can be done with document nodes with comments and a search implementation for listing, e.g. elastic search. Also it’s actually pretty easy to achieve and there is a package that does part of it available. See https://github.com/robertlemke/RobertLemke.Plugin.Blog. I doubt there is a forum available, but there’s the Flow framework to support building something like that. I’m pretty sure that there isn’t any ad management package available and I personally I’d be surprised if you could make a good one that would fit the independent needs for projects. However my colleague Rasmus Skjoldan and I have discussed content dimensions allowing for personalization and multi-channel publishing a lot and this is something a magazine could benefit a lot from. Also other things like integration to social media and analytics could be very useful. We have ideas and ways of how that can be achieved in Neos, but this would be a very custom solution tailored exactly for the needs of that project. In essence what I’m trying to say is that you can achieve these things with Neos and it will probably be the best solution you could get, but it will require you to implement many of the things yourself. So it then boils down to your budget, because if you have a budget to built these things exactly the way you want them then I’d say you should definitely go for it, however if you don’t and are looking for standard solutions with whatever limitations/downsides that has then you shouldn’t. Regarding paid packages, I don’t think so other than custom solutions you get agencies to implement.

Keep in mind that Neos is still a very young product (dec 2013) and is evolving rapidly at the moment. There will be more features and lots of more packages within a year or two and currently most implement custom solutions rather than rely on finished community packages for advanced websites.

Regarding stability it’s still a young product with it’s child illnesses, but the situation is improving quickly. As mentioned by Dominique the 1.1 release focused on the performance and stability and stability is still an important topic for the upcoming releases. I’d say you can definitely work with it, but if you’re in doubt you should try it out for yourself with a test installation. E.g. with https://launchr.com/typo3-neos. Many projects are being made with the product already and they all rely on the stability of the product, recently a reference list was made available too http://neos.typo3.org/demo/neos-references.html.

I hope that you’ll find the information useful.

Best regards
Aske