[Neos] Terminology: Hide vs. Show

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Mon Nov 25 19:55:10 CET 2013

Hi,

Bastian Waidelich wrote:

>>> My reasoning for this is that we want to focus on what the user is
>>> doing, rather than what they are undoing. They are undoing hide, but what
>>> are they doing?

I like the idea, but I'm not sure if we find a fitting term for it.

A few possibilities:
>>> Publish

"Publish on" or "Publish" would imply some sort of action carried out on
that date - but Neos won't press the publish button.

>>> Show

It's not said that it will be shown, because visibility relies on
multiple factors.

> Re "Show": do you suggest to rename the "Hide"-checkbox to "Show" and
> have it checked by default? If we really go that path I'd suggest to
> call it "Visible" instead.

See above: even if you check "visible", it's not said that it _will_ be
visible. It should be "potentially visible at all" but, you know, ackward.

> BTW: In TYPO3 CMS this is *not* called "hide" any more but "disable" and
> I think that this makes much more sense in fact.

It's slightly better, but I'm unbiased.

>>> considering the title is "Visibility," using "Start Date" and "End
>>> Date."

Another question: how would we label a feature / switch / check box
which would indeed trigger auto-publishing?

robert