[Neos] Tags, TYPO3.Media, and the taxonomy work package, Oh My!

Aske Ertmann aske at moc.net
Fri May 24 11:24:26 CEST 2013

Hi Jacob

This is an issue I've had on my radar for a long time now. I've heard multiple times that good taxonomy is one of the key features in Drupal, especially for media websites. I've tried to bring this issue up every time anything about categories (hierarchical) or tags have come up and so far the only reason nothing has happened yet is prioritization. My idea is to have a very generic package called TYPO3.Taxonomy that has support for adding categories or tags for nodes and domain models. It should come with a powerful Neos module where the integrator can choose which category/tag groups can be used for which elements. It has to support multiple references per element and also be easy for the developer to use.

And to reference the situation in CMS it has always been an issue that hasn't really been dealt with property, even though different extensions tried. I think it was lack of proper support that none of these ever worked out. There was also multiple attempts to bring it into the core, but that never really happened either. Although recently it's gotten better since some basic categorization was introduced into the core, which is now usable for developers, but it's still a very rough implementation. Anyway my point is that we should do something to prevent the same happening to Neos, and therefore it should be done soon before a lot of plugin packages start to emerge for Neos.

Regarding the media browser I've brought up the issue and there we decided to keep the simple tags needed for the work package, but not developer further on that. By keeping it simple in the media browser we will be able to easily write node/code migrations once we have a solid concept for the TYPO3.Taxonomy package. This discussion also lead to the new work package about this subject http://forge.typo3.org/issues/47895.

For anyone who is interested in this I would recommend to add your comments to that work packages so when someone has the time and the will to start to that we already have a well discussed and thought through concept.

Btw. no worries in bringing this topic up, because we find it important as well.

Best regards,
Aske