[TYPO3-50-general] git and a Package Repository

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Fri May 28 13:25:29 CEST 2010

Michael Sauter wrote:
> On 27.05.10 15:49, Thomas Fritz wrote:
>> 2010/5/27 Martin Klepsch<martinklepsch at googlemail.com>
>>
>>> I'm glad that this question comes up again.
>>>
>>> I'm not contributing to TYPO3 / FLOW3 at the moment but I can confirm
>>> that
>>> Git/Github enables more people to really influence the project.
>>> The whole fork/merge/cherry-pick workflow would be a huge benefit for
>>> the
>>> community.
>>> Recently I discovered a script that lets you cherry-pick a commit by
>>> pasting
>>> the Github
>>> URL<http://github.com/adamv/dotfiles/blob/master/bin/gh-pick>.
>>>
>>> To me Git/Github is the way how open source should work.
>>>

>> +1
>
> +1
>
> At least for Git ... Github is nice too, but I'm happy with other
> solutions as well. Gerrit sounds good, haven't worked with it yet though.
>
> I also think the current way with SVN is hindering contribution. It was
> okay while there have been no distributed VCS, but IMHO it's time to
> move on now ...

-1 For git.

The last few weeks I've been trying to get things working. I have had no
problems making patches for core issues using TortoiseSVN on my Windoze
machine, but git has driven me mad so far.

There is a Win32 port which looks like TortoiseSVN, but it isn't working
correctly. msysGit could be installed, but failed to get the stuff back
to the online repository.

So far it has cost me too many hours, which I could have spent coding
and fixing things.

Unless support for each OS is available with easy tools which make it
easier and not harder for a developer to contribute code, git is not
(yet) the way to go for me.

And maybe I should have spent more time getting to know git, but on the
other hand starting to use SVN took me hardly any time...

--
Jigal van Hemert
skype:jigal.van.hemert
msn: jigal at xs4all.nl