[TYPO3-50-general] New templating system?

"Duch (aka. Grégory Duchesnes)" typo3 at ilomedia.net
Mon Mar 22 15:21:19 CET 2010

Le 22 mars 2010 à 14:40, Mathias Bolt Lesniak, LiliO Design a écrit :

> On 21. mars 2010, at 18.10, Duch (aka. Grégory Duchesnes) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The future of templating systems for Typo3 is indeed pretty unclear, i couldn't figure out if Fluid will replace any other templating system or if it will only be used inside extensions.
>>
>> Though i must admit it is easy to learn (at least in the beginning), i do not like TemplaVoilà because of its extensive use of XML in the database, therefore i developped another approach that i'd like to show to the community.
>>
>> It is based on an extension that only focuses on the mapping (when TV also deals with the look of the back-end and allows to create new types of content called FCE) + a Firebug extension (which you can consider as a wizard).
>> This extension is a bit like the good old automaketemplate system on steroids, it is configured by Typoscript and uses xpath to define subparts and markers.
>>
>> At first reading, it looks a bit more complicated than a point and click solution, though IMHO it gives much more control, and that's why i developped a little Firebug extension to make mapping a child-play.
>>
>> I made a little demo video (3 minutes) to show the community how it works, and i'd be glad to have your feedback guys (it won't be a waste of time, i promise).
>>
>> Here is the link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaeyNE9miD4
>> NB : the extension called jetts is already available on the TER and can be used without the Firebug extension (there's a great tutorial), the Firebug extension has not been released yet.
>>

>> Enjoy!
>> (By the way, i'm not sure this is the right list for this, so let me know)
>>
>> Duch
>>

> Hi!
>
> I agree with some of the others who have replied to this thread:
>   - It's way to complicated.

It's not more complicated and far more powerful than automaketemplate (it is by the way far more powerful than Templavoilà itself in some extent but this not the debate)

>   - The "easy" way requires a feature of one specific browser, and it's not even that easy.
>
> I like TV's simple way of click-to-assign. It's very good, but involves too much clicking and XML dependance is not good. If anything: things should be easier than TV!
>
> Building an interface through ExtJS would be more compatible, I think. I would vote for keeping a model where you can still use XHTML templates like in TV, but adding a Fluid layer would also be good: We need both, not just one of them. Some templates (especially custom content elements) don't need fluid, others would benefit hugely.
>
> TS will always be an integral part of TYPO3, but I don't see why it, too, can't get an ExtJS graphical interface, i.e. to make it very easy to configure menus.
>

> Best wishes
>
> Mathias Bolt Lesniak

The idea behind this video was to demonstrate the interest (or not) of using Firebug for the mapping instead of doing something from the ground-up.

The "easy" way is of course a work in progress and it could be even more integrated with Typo3, it is pretty easy for example to add a "save to mapping" button instead of the "copy to clipboard" button that would save the generated mapping to a record in the database in AJAX, and this could work for any templating system (TV, Fluid, jetts, whatever you like). So, no more copy/paste action, no more Typoscript just point and click in Firebug and save to mapping, i think this would be useful.

As for using extJS, why not, but why do will always need to re-do what has already been done?

Regards,
duch