[TYPO3-50-general] New templating system?

Mathias Bolt Lesniak, LiliO Design mathias at lilio.com
Mon Mar 22 15:43:20 CET 2010

On 22. mars 2010, at 15.21, Duch (aka. Grégory Duchesnes) wrote:

> Le 22 mars 2010 à 14:40, Mathias Bolt Lesniak, LiliO Design a écrit :
>

>> Hi!
>>
>> I agree with some of the others who have replied to this thread:
>>  - It's way to complicated.
>
> It's not more complicated and far more powerful than automaketemplate (it is by the way far more powerful than Templavoilà itself in some extent but this not the debate)

Automaketemplate is out of the question in any case. :-)

>>  - The "easy" way requires a feature of one specific browser, and it's not even that easy.
>>
>> I like TV's simple way of click-to-assign. It's very good, but involves too much clicking and XML dependance is not good. If anything: things should be easier than TV!
>>
>> Building an interface through ExtJS would be more compatible, I think. I would vote for keeping a model where you can still use XHTML templates like in TV, but adding a Fluid layer would also be good: We need both, not just one of them. Some templates (especially custom content elements) don't need fluid, others would benefit hugely.
>>
>> TS will always be an integral part of TYPO3, but I don't see why it, too, can't get an ExtJS graphical interface, i.e. to make it very easy to configure menus.
>>

>> Best wishes
>>
>> Mathias Bolt Lesniak
>
> The idea behind this video was to demonstrate the interest (or not) of using Firebug for the mapping instead of doing something from the ground-up.

Good for a proof of concept, yes, but not for the final version.

> The "easy" way is of course a work in progress and it could be even more integrated with Typo3, it is pretty easy for example to add a "save to mapping" button instead of the "copy to clipboard" button that would save the generated mapping to a record in the database in AJAX, and this could work for any templating system (TV, Fluid, jetts, whatever you like). So, no more copy/paste action, no more Typoscript just point and click in Firebug and save to mapping, i think this would be useful.

Why not start by asking "how can we make a templating system for TYPO3 that will be easy to use, powerful and well integrated"? B-)

I guess it's the difference between bottom-up and top-down development (where you seem to be more of a fan of the first, and I of the latter).

> As for using extJS, why not, but why do will always need to re-do what has already been done?

ExtJS is compatible with more browsers, and it's already a part of the TYPO3 core.

Hehe, sometimes rewriting makes better code too. ;-)

Best wishes

Mathias Bolt Lesniak
LiliO Design - www.lilio.com
mathias at lilio.com