[TYPO3-50-general] New templating system?

Mathias Bolt Lesniak, LiliO Design mathias at lilio.com
Mon Mar 22 14:40:05 CET 2010

On 21. mars 2010, at 18.10, Duch (aka. Grégory Duchesnes) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The future of templating systems for Typo3 is indeed pretty unclear, i couldn't figure out if Fluid will replace any other templating system or if it will only be used inside extensions.
>
> Though i must admit it is easy to learn (at least in the beginning), i do not like TemplaVoilà because of its extensive use of XML in the database, therefore i developped another approach that i'd like to show to the community.
>
> It is based on an extension that only focuses on the mapping (when TV also deals with the look of the back-end and allows to create new types of content called FCE) + a Firebug extension (which you can consider as a wizard).
> This extension is a bit like the good old automaketemplate system on steroids, it is configured by Typoscript and uses xpath to define subparts and markers.
>
> At first reading, it looks a bit more complicated than a point and click solution, though IMHO it gives much more control, and that's why i developped a little Firebug extension to make mapping a child-play.
>
> I made a little demo video (3 minutes) to show the community how it works, and i'd be glad to have your feedback guys (it won't be a waste of time, i promise).
>
> Here is the link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaeyNE9miD4
> NB : the extension called jetts is already available on the TER and can be used without the Firebug extension (there's a great tutorial), the Firebug extension has not been released yet.
>

> Enjoy!
> (By the way, i'm not sure this is the right list for this, so let me know)
>
> Duch

Hi!

I agree with some of the others who have replied to this thread:
    - It's way to complicated.
    - The "easy" way requires a feature of one specific browser, and it's not even that easy.

I like TV's simple way of click-to-assign. It's very good, but involves too much clicking and XML dependance is not good. If anything: things should be easier than TV!

Building an interface through ExtJS would be more compatible, I think. I would vote for keeping a model where you can still use XHTML templates like in TV, but adding a Fluid layer would also be good: We need both, not just one of them. Some templates (especially custom content elements) don't need fluid, others would benefit hugely.

TS will always be an integral part of TYPO3, but I don't see why it, too, can't get an ExtJS graphical interface, i.e. to make it very easy to configure menus.

Best wishes

Mathias Bolt Lesniak
LiliO Design - www.lilio.com
mathias at lilio.com