[TYPO3-50-general] (Summary) RFC: Short filenames

Nino Martincevic don at zampano.com
Wed Jan 28 11:39:59 CET 2009

Huh?

 > Althogh there are some interesting bits the discussion, to be honest, I
 > still don't see the relation between DDD and conventions for the
 > filename. For me the filename is something which has to do with
 > infrastructure, not the domain of my software.
 >
 > Let's discuss DDD in other threads ...

Didn't I say it has nothing to do with DDD?
But with encapsulation and low coupling, by separating business from
infrastructure and persistence technologies.
These are OOP's and every serious application's main goals, aren't they?

And *context* is not something that DDD invented.

See:
Mysql forces me to use the SQL set it gives.
If I want to use MySQL then I have to learn its conventions.
The framework Flow3 forces me to use its conventions if I want to build
a good application with it. No problem, if I choose MySQL or Flow3 I
will use their conventions for a certain part of my application, but
never for the core. If I don't like it anymore, so what?

Sure there will be some pain and hard work if I use another stuff but
isn't it that always, like in real life?
A change of the circumstances almost never comes for free.
And the more I try to decouple my system from such pain, the more work I
have to do. It's always the same. That's life.

And Flow3 also has to rely on conventions if it interacts with the
outside world, even if they are only there to allow every developer who
work on it as a team, they have the context of understanding the
internals, a common (ubiquitous) language.
Flow3 sets the interfaces for the consumers of it.
They may use it, abstract it or ignore it.
So does an ORM MySQL and databases, giving abstractions like query().

My business domain has abstractions (and "conventions") and so has
Flow3. It e.g. abstracts the concept of persistence to something called
Flow3CR or Persistence Manager. In the context of Flow3 everyone knows
what the meaning of such cryptic names is.

Where's the problem?

I couldn't resist:
"Size matters!" ... but sense matters more.

Yo.