[TYPO3-50-general] Common namings for variables with path-content

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Thu Jan 15 15:31:53 CET 2009

Denyer Ec schrieb:
> I'm a native English speaker and computer user, to me "filename" seems
> perfectly natural.

I'm not, but at least in IT filename seems to be perfectly acceptable.

> You could also expect any other programmer to be comfortable with
> "filename" as a single word, however this seems to have become a
> matter of semantic consistency so regard the following:
>
> Eg:
>
> filename
> directoryName
>
> or
>
> fileName
> directoryName
>
> If you think about it in other scenarios, if you're referring to the
> name of some thing, then you would expect "thingName". In this case,
> "filename" is a special exception, so should it be unified or allowed
> to exist in its own special case?
>
> Not throwing my vote in for either of them as I know too little of
> Flow3 right now to be of use, but just giving you my native english
> perspective ;)

Unfortunately I'm not sure I get your point. If I understand you
correctly you say a) that "filename" is a term and b) that "file name"
would be acceptable (at least as in camel case "fileName").

Therefore both options are valid, right?

Masi