[TYPO3-50-general] Typo3 5 and Multilanguage-Support

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Wed Feb 11 11:37:54 CET 2009

Robert Lemke schrieb:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I'll have to keep my answer a bit short, so:
>
> yes, we have thought about the multilanguage support in TYPO3 v5.
> Because we are currently working on other parts, I'd like to postpone
> this topic a bit, but here are some general ideas already:
>
>  - there's no "default" language anymore
>  - we use the CLDR for proper locale support (http://www.unicode.org/cldr/)
>  - in trees we distinguish between the structure and contents attached
> to structure nodes: gives us all the flexibility of TemplaVoila but with
> less complexity
>  - there will be a dedicated module for translation
>  - we'll support plural forms and other niceties

I'd like to see better fallbacks. eg I want to store stuff for "de" with
only occasional variants for "de-AT" and "de-CH". Ususally "language
packs" are bound to a complete locale, but for German it'd be great if
there was a German pack with only "add-ons" for Austria or Switzerland
(though the Swiss might complain about the ß). I guess that this makes
also sense for eg fr-BE

Masi