[TYPO3-50-general] Technical concepts for TYPO3 v5 backend

Thomas Allmer at at delusionworld.com
Mon Feb 9 01:48:26 CET 2009

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Anway, there is all kind of stuff you can do nowadays with JS to get a
> decent and powerful UI. I can imagine that you can many fields in a
> retro way with many boring server-client round-trips, but I guess that
> there are limits. How shall an RTE field work without JS? Do you suggest
> to use only RTEs with a limited feature set that BBcode and friends offer.

no, that's not what I said...

it just means that there must be an textarea and if js is enabled it
should be replaced by a real RTE. However we start at the textarea :)

> How about creating HTML mockups for the many field types a CMS offers?
> If you really care about this progressive enhancement stuff then the JS
> is secondary, because *everything* must work without JS. So IMHO the
> works has to be done with the basics, that is plain HTML. After that the
> icing with JS may come in.

Quote Jeremy Keith: "We’ve clarified that universality does not mean
that everyone gets the same experience—that everyone, no matter what
their device or browser goes to a Web site or Web application and they
all have the same experience. That’s not the idea. I don’t think that
really follows the spirit of the Web anyway. I’m talking more about a
site that can adapt to the needs of the people who use any particular
device."

The first block is really good, you may also listen to the audio
recording (about the first 20 minutes)

http://adactio.com/articles/1349/

Basically what I would do here. Provide a simple input field and you can
enter the id. If you have javascript you get a nice inlinePopup or some
other ajax magic that will allow you more easily select the id you may
search for. This is about the different user experience :p.
However if we think a little bit more about it we might even find a nice
solution for html only...

> PS: Forms are not everything. The whole UI has to be planned from
> scratch.

yeah, that's the idea here. Now we have a chance - we can change things
- we can start over.

cheers