[TYPO3-50-general] Beer3, really a good solution?

Georg Ringer mail-spam at ringerge.org
Sat Oct 25 17:00:30 CEST 2008

Hi,

I am not really a PHP pro and don't know all the other projects you
looked at and I really like the old template style with the subparts &
markers and that stuff, especially because I didn't know php at the
beginning.

Since some months I am working with Magento and there they use php-files
(file ending is phtml, meaning mixture of html and php) and first I
really disliked it but now I love it because of the following reasons:

- There are so many cases where you just would need an additional
if/else, an extra counter and so on and this is so easy having php there!
- If you got an extra need, you can always do everything (or many
things) inside the template without extra changes to the code. So there
is no problem taking those changes to another project because the change
is just in your own template files.
- So many things are getting easier. Just filling a select field with
dates from 1900 to 2000 or whatever.
- Everybody who works with TYPO3 should know php, so this language is
already learned. Why a new language for the same things?

I really know security is a big deal and I appreciate those concerns but
    if people can't "hack" into the templates, they just will do it
somewhere in the other code. IMO a code or a project won't get saver by
just disabling bad code in one place.

Just my opinion
Georg