[TYPO3-50-general] Beer3, really a good solution?

Niels Fröhling niels.froehling at adsignum.com
Mon Oct 27 17:09:02 CET 2008

Franz Koch wrote:
>> Also templates are not just only about FE web-page output. A select-box
>> may be the result of a GUI-element template, tabs, lists, ... IMHO
>> everything should tunnel through a template-engine (ever wanted editable
>> select-boxes?, ever wanted to turn tabs into sequencial blocks in all of
>> your CMS, just with a checkbox?).
>>
> I think that's where widgets will come into place later on. I your views
> you would use a tabs-widget, a select-box widget etc.

 Yes. But the actual Typo doesn't have it. You have some HTML-code
embedded in application-code related to DB-manipulation (for example).
 Also a lot of GUI-interfaces do not allow to replace a
tab-visualization by a consecusive block-vizualization on-the-fly.
 In my little example, you would _not_ create a tab-widget, you would
create a group-widget, that then desides (on configuratin, and on
output-support) to put tabs, or to put frames, or blocks, ...  because
it's also about developing a slightly distinct GUI-paradigma, in that a
GUI element is suggested by it's _function_, not by it's appearance.

 Ciao
    Niels