[TYPO3-50-general] Beer3, really a good solution?

Sebastian Kurfürst sebastian at typo3.org
Sat Oct 25 15:27:50 CEST 2008

Hi Ries,

> I am not sure of it's different then most standard way.. XSLT sounds
> like a standard to me.
> But I guess what you are saying is that it's hard to understand for
> most
> webdesigners and PHPers that needs to create a website using F3 and
> B3.
Yes, exactly!

>> And, besides, the language is really verbose - so you sometimes need
>> lots of code for simple things.
>
> I don't think templating (the correct way) is simple.
Definitely not - but we want to make it as easy and simple as we can :-)

> I do have a question. is it possible to make simple IF or CASE
> constructs
> within the template?
We are still thinking how to do something like this best -
What will definitely exist is something like:

<f3:if condition="some.condition.here">

</f3:if>

However, we are not sure yet how to do the "else"-Part, if we need an
"else"-Part, and how to make this really work.

A "Case"-Statement could be made in a similar way:

<switch condition="....">
<case value="1">...</case>
<case value="2">...</case>
</switch>

So - yes, there will be an "if", for example, but it will _not_ be
part of the Language, the parser, etc.
Instead, these constructs will be defined as View Helpers (which ship
with Beer3/... lateron).

Comments are of course welcome :-)

Greets,
Sebastian