[TYPO3-50-general] Beer3, really a good solution?

ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Sat Oct 25 04:22:39 CEST 2008

On Oct 24, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Niels Fröhling wrote:

> ries van Twisk wrote:
>>> * many "Design to HTML guys" don't know php
>>>

>> I am not sure if this method is really great for designers, that's
>> why
>> I like Templavoila so much,
>> although TV and B3 cannot really be compared I do wonder if TV method
>> can be applied to a full
>> template engine.
> TV is a context-dependent topological mapper. Without an element you
> don't have the ability to assign something. Normally template-engines
> are substitutional and context-free.
>
> Here is an example:
>
> <text>Let's substitute {"my variable" as $my_variable}, somewhere in
> the middle of the paragraph.</text>
>
> Real-TV would need known tags, and could not easily^tm replace
> 'my_variable', and could not assign a distinct output-rendering to our
> tag <text>. Thus it becomes:

> of the paragraph.</p>

I understand what you are saying, normally you would replace the whole
line though...

> I think we agree that's it is very weak /templating/ if at all, and
> you
> still need to provide (maybe even a complex) TS-fragment to
> substitute.

Yes, but this is up to the admin.... However it's not that complex..

> On the other hand I think that TV works very well in practice, because
> the defined context (HTML-code) can be made functional and can be
> build
> in a very big number of applications (including PhotoShop/ImageReady
> for
> example, as well as lynx). There is allways a trade-of.

Exactly, it's extremely user friendly for designers!
So I do wonder how designer are going to look up against B3.
My workflow was normally I get a template from designer, map it with TV
and voila, I do have a site...

I am not sure what the new workflow in B3 is going to be, properly
much the same
as with classic templateing....

I have nothing against B3, and I like the general ideas I am just
wondering how it will
work in practice..

Ries