[TYPO3-50-general] Beer3, really a good solution?

Niels Fröhling niels.froehling at adsignum.com
Sat Oct 25 03:57:54 CEST 2008

ries van Twisk wrote:
>> * many "Design to HTML guys" don't know php
>>

> I am not sure if this method is really great for designers, that's why
> I like Templavoila so much,
> although TV and B3 cannot really be compared I do wonder if TV method
> can be applied to a full
> template engine.
 TV is a context-dependent topological mapper. Without an element you
don't have the ability to assign something. Normally template-engines
are substitutional and context-free.

 Here is an example:

 <text>Let's substitute {"my variable" as $my_variable}, somewhere in
the middle of the paragraph.</text>

 Real-TV would need known tags, and could not easily^tm replace
'my_variable', and could not assign a distinct output-rendering to our
tag <text>. Thus it becomes:

of the paragraph.</p>

 I think we agree that's it is very weak /templating/ if at all, and you
still need to provide (maybe even a complex) TS-fragment to substitute.
On the other hand I think that TV works very well in practice, because
the defined context (HTML-code) can be made functional and can be build
in a very big number of applications (including PhotoShop/ImageReady for
example, as well as lynx). There is allways a trade-of.

 Personally I would be happy with server/client-side JS + XML + XSLT +
XSL, though not every server has Rhino installed. It has the advantage
to be a real abstraction, can be made to be really templatetative and is
really well supported.

 Ciao
    Niels