[TYPO3-50-general] Coding Guidelines - Closing ?>

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Mon Mar 31 16:16:27 CEST 2008

Hi.

Michael Feinbier wrote:
> The coding-guidelines of the Zend Framework [1] include an interesting
> part about the closing PHP-Tag ?>
>
> "For files that contain only PHP code, the closing tag ("?>") is never
> permitted. It is not required by PHP. Not including it prevents trailing
> whitespace from being accidentally injected into the output."

Well, honestly, how often did you run into problems with trailing
whitespace? Robert followed this principle for a few files, and we
talked about this after I complained.

To me it looks like "wow, this file seems truncated". It seems the only
advantage would be to get rid of a problem I never had, so I am strictly
against that principle.

Regards,
Karsten