[TYPO3-50-general] Coding Guidelines - Closing ?>

Tim Eilers tim.eilers at web.de
Thu Mar 6 21:23:41 CET 2008

Hi Michael,

Michael Feinbier schrieb:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Maybe the discussion on the coding guidelines is closed, but I have a
> small addition to that and want to start a small discussion about it.

no problem, it is what the mailing list is for ;D
and i think coding guidelines discussion never will be closed...

> The coding-guidelines of the Zend Framework [1] include an interesting
> part about the closing PHP-Tag ?>
>
> "For files that contain only PHP code, the closing tag ("?>") is never
> permitted. It is not required by PHP. Not including it prevents trailing
> whitespace from being accidentally injected into the output."

Never heard of that. sounds interesting

> I like this principle and already apply it on my projects.
>
> What do you think about that? Is it worth to change/add this rule to the
> coding guidelines?

i don't know. does it cause problems in special situations?

for now we have several sniffs that check
- if there is anything after the closing ?>
- if there is a second ?> in the code

but we could change that...

lets see, what the others say!

Cheers,