[TYPO3-50-general] WikiPage for DevelopementHelpers

Malte Jansen mail at maltejansen.de
Fri Feb 15 11:22:22 CET 2008

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Brüßler schrieb:
> Hello Malte and Karsten,
>
> OK, I just read what you talked about ;-) All right, I try to keep it
> short.
>
> first Malte: That's a very nice idea. I think you can mix it with
> http://wiki.typo3.org/Helpful_Tools

I didn't now this page until now ...
You can reach this only via "Category: Topic/extension". So it's pretty
hidden. Nobody reads the whole. Some points must be pointed directly to
the visitor. Especially for an easy access to the T3-world.
If you do not the correct keyword the pages are found difficultly via index.

> Then the export/import: Does trac know the Creole-standard to export the
> content? If yes it can be transformed in two steps into the
> mediawiki-format. If you need it, tell me.
If there two steps, there is at least one step too much.

> Wher the content of an exception is is not important, it just be
> somewhere. Here are some examples: http://wiki.typo3.org/Exception
  But you still have to insert the information manually.

> It's no problem to point to the class within forge. eg. the classname
> T3_FLOW3_MVC_Controller_ActionController
> can point to
> http://forge.typo3.org/repositories/changes/packages-flow3/trunk/Classes/MVC/Controller/T3_FLOW3_MVC_Controller_ActionController.php
>
> This can be done with a tag like
> {{forgetrunk|path/classname}}
Must be done manually.

If you change a Class/File. It's difficult to find every location in the
wiki where you have to change something.
e.g. in T3 v4
If you have a change something in the tceforms, you have to think about,
in which documentation the tceforms is located. Ok, doc_core_api and
tsconfig. But there are two places...

>> The FLOW3CGL can also read out all exceptions mentionen in the code.
>> So you can check pretty easy which exceptions are in registered in a
>> simple db-table with some comment function. So you don't have to enter
>> all informations of an error by yourself or somebody else.
>
> That sounds really cool. Is it possible to create a CSV-list of these?
> So I could import them into wiki.typo3.org with pages.
There to many steps to do. If you just validate your Project against the
FLOW3CGL. The file is generated. My idea is, that you just need one
further click to import them (perhaps a step for a comparison of
changes), but thats all.
With CSV-list you have to download it, you have to upload/import it and
you have to switch location....

> First they would be in this category:
> http://wiki.typo3.org/Category:Topic5/Missing_solution
>
> When somebody who knows FLOW3 very well types in the description and a
> solution he/she can remove the "Missing solution"-tag.
So you will need a guideline for it, how to handle a missing-solution.
If you can just give a comment/solution. There is no need to remove
anything.

>> IMO the Wiki for flow3 and t3 v5 should be move to forge. So you do
>> not have to switch location managing some documentation. You also
>> could connect some doc-changes to a revision of the SVN, because than
>> you have the full controll about documents changed in which revision.
>> (You now which feature was introduced in which release).
>
> Hm. Linking to a code-revision would be not the problem. For example
> with a tag maybe something like
> {{forge|492}}
>
> What is the 16 here? packagenumber or projectnumber?
> http://forge.typo3.org/repositories/revision/16?rev=492

I don't know.
> Are the wiki-pages in redmine versioned in SVN?
I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

>> I started with t3 one year ago and was pretty difficult to find all
>> places concerning development etc. So it would be simple to have just,
>> the product pages and one dev-page, where all information are stored.
>
> yes, my view is similar. When there not many wikis, many forums, and so
> on it's better. Having just one wiki is a good start.
I mean one dev page (not a bug/feature page and a documentation page),
where you find all informations.

>> You will normally find bugs if you dev something. You will only get
>> exceptions, when you are developing. You won't forget some changes in
>> the documentation easily, if you'll see all information in one place...
>
> yes, I hope we can optimize this.
Now, somthing to the "to many steps" thing ;)

The workFLOW3 will break, if you have to many steps.

You still need two logins (wiki.typo3.org and typo3.org).

For most devs (for me too) making documentation is annoying. So let's
keep it simple and reduce the steps for each task.

IMO the usage of the wiki with T3 v4 was not very succesful, because you
can hardly/never read in forums etc. "checkout the wiki.typo3.org for
it". It's just used for some "adding some documentation for a
new/changed for feature". Are there some page-statistics, which
distroy/validate my impression?

Perhaps, this question is too late. But is/was it a good idea, to put T3
v4 and v5 in the same wiki? Because v5 is a totally new system. After
you'll upgrade, there is nearly nothing the same as before. Just the
content in the db-will be properly the same.

Don't take me wrong. I don't know all decisions, which were made. I just
thinking about possiblities to optimize workflow.

Cheers,

Malte