[TYPO3-50-general] WikiPage for DevelopementHelpers

Daniel Brüßler info at -remove-patchworking.de
Fri Feb 15 14:35:17 CET 2008

Hello Malte,

much to talk about :-) I'm shure we'll find a good solution what
optimizes documentation in general and this Exception-handling. You'll
need some time to read this.

> I didn't now this page until now ...
> You can reach this only via "Category: Topic/extension". So it's pretty
> hidden. Nobody reads the whole. Some points must be pointed directly to
> the visitor. Especially for an easy access to the T3-world.
> If you do not the correct keyword the pages are found difficultly via

not really.
* Overview Developer Manuals
* Projects (on top near by Subversion-Link)
are linking to this page since a long time.

I now added {{Tag|extension development}} to this page, so it's now in a
better category.

Where do you expect the links to this page on wiki.typo3.org?
Where do you expect links from forge.typo3.org to this page?

Please help to find a good alias-name for this page:
http://wiki.typo3.org/Category:Topic
* http://wiki.typo3.org/Tags
* http://wiki.typo3.org/Topics
* http://wiki.typo3.org/Index

> If there two steps, there is at least one step too much.

The two steps are just some mouse-klicks. How often a year is it needed
to import from trac-wiki to wiki.typo3.org?

>> This can be done with a tag like
>> {{forgetrunk|path/classname}}
> Must be done manually.
> If you change a Class/File. It's difficult to find every location in the
> wiki where you have to change something.

not really. We're working via yours and my mails here on a mechanism how
to optimize this. I talked about this:
* create the current Exceptions-list via the new CGL-tool of forge
* create new wiki-pages by a script
* update Exception-info (classnames, method-names)

All this is possible because the Exception-ID is unique and we're not
dumb. :-)

> e.g. in T3 v4
> If you have a change something in the tceforms, you have to think about,
> in which documentation the tceforms is located. Ok, doc_core_api and
> tsconfig. But there are two places...

for V4 it could also be done, but a very huge task. But: we do need it.
Maybe SVN helps with this. Ingmar is versioning every change. A search
for SVN-stuff would be cool. So it's possible to search for
"t3lib_TCEmain". Or is this possible already?

> With CSV-list you have to download it, you have to upload/import it and
> you have to switch location....

in a first version yes. But if there's a RSS-file on forge with the full
list (Exception-id, packagename, classname, method-name, shortmessage)
then I can fetch this regularly with a cronjob running on wiki.typo3.org
What do you think about this?

> http://wiki.typo3.org/Category:Topic5/Missing_solution
> So you will need a guideline for it, how to handle a missing-solution.

http://wiki.typo3.org/Exception1167820928#notes
Did you see this? The text shows what to do with it. This is just for
forge-developers. A todolist what can be visited once a week for half an
hour.

>> Hm. Linking to a code-revision would be not the problem. For example
>> with a tag maybe something like
>> {{forge|492}}
>> http://forge.typo3.org/repositories/revision/16?rev=492
> I don't know.

I think this is better:
{{forgerevision|FLOW3|492}} link to
http://forge.typo3.org/repositories/revision/16?rev=492

{{forgerevision|PHPUnit|492}} link to
http://forge.typo3.org/repositories/revision/21?rev=492

***Important***: Nobody has to remember these wiki-tags, they will be
clickable in the edit-toolbar of the wiki.

>> Are the wiki-pages in redmine versioned in SVN?
> I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

Ingmar versions the core-documents via SVN. Maybe it makes sense to also
version the wiki via SVN. So all the new manuals would have a
revision-number and are comparable via SVN-diff
http://typo3.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/typo3/CoreDocs/trunk/doc_core_tsref/doc_core_tsref.txt?r1=1922&r2=3102&view=diff&diff_format=h

What do you think about this?

> I mean one dev page (not a bug/feature page and a documentation page),
> where you find all informations.
we have a similar problem with news. They get fetched from
news.typo3.org One possible thing would be this:
view the current Exception-information from the wiki and add an
edit-link on the right side of this. When one wants to add a note he/she
is forwarded to the wiki.typo3.org-page (IFRAME? new window?) and can
add a note.

Why: So it's easy to connect with all the manuals in the wiki.

> The workFLOW3 will break, if you have to many steps.

SingleSignOn is planned since a while, there were to many other
important tasks why this is not done yet. But it's not hard to do this.

> For most devs (for me too) making documentation is annoying. So let's
> keep it simple and reduce the steps for each task.

yes, so it's very good that we talk about it and find a perfect solution.

> IMO the usage of the wiki with T3 v4 was not very succesful, because you
> can hardly/never read in forums etc. "checkout the wiki.typo3.org for
> it".

1. because the forums want to attract visitors. the less people leave
*to anywhere* the better it is *for them*. Good that we still have this
international mailinglists.
2. because the first years the wiki was a big chaos. Many several
concepts and now clear aim what to use it for. Now we do not use it to
publish documentation - just for developing new manuals or add notes to
existing ones. Then they're published as OpenOffice-document in TER.

In the moment (ter_fe_pi1) there's no link from the TER-infopage
http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/contagged/current/

Next to the link "manual" (the OpenOffice-document)
there could be the link "wiki-notes"
to it's wikipage.
http://wiki.typo3.org/contagged

> (...) Are there some page-statistics, which
> distroy/validate my impression?

see http://wiki.typo3.org/Special:Statistics

isn't 5,169,838 page views a good number for this website what has no
links from all the forums and TER?

> Perhaps, this question is too late. But is/was it a good idea, to put T3
> v4 and v5 in the same wiki? Because v5 is a totally new system. After
> you'll upgrade, there is nearly nothing the same as before.

I have created a new namespace for the keywords (for tagging) two weeks
ago. So the pages can *coexist* and linking is easy.

The wiki has three layers:
1: mediawiki-engine
2: tagging, templates, language-switch
3: content

For FLOW3 the layers 1 and 2 are also needed and just 3 is different in
some cases. Don't forget that we'll have the migration-path form 4 to 5
where FLOW3 (the MVC-package for example) will be usable as a version 4
extension :-)

> Don't take me wrong. I don't know all decisions, which were made. I just
> thinking about possiblities to optimize workflow.

yes, also me. When nobody talks about problems the problems canot be solved.

Cheers!
Daniel