[TYPO3-50-general] Skinning Api for 5.0

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Thu May 3 20:54:25 CEST 2007

JoH asenau schrieb:
>> after talking to Robert on the DevDays offering my help with some
>> Designstuff for 5.0 ... by the way i?ll still have to mail you
>> robert,.. ;-)
>>
>> i just thought about a tremendous problem everyone of us knows,... we
>> ain?t got any skinning api in 4.0 that works for BE as well as for FE,
>> so at any time one writes a module for BE he has to "invent" his own
>> style and html,...
>
> Take a look at this one and the following sections 6.2, 6.3, 6.4 and 6.5
>
> http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/core-documentation/doc_core_api/4.0.0/view/6/1/
>
> it's all there but unfortunately nobody seems to be using it.

This API is horrible!

The names means nothing (what is bgColor4!?!?) and some stuff is
obsoleted (eg the colors are not used directly, but only referenced via
CSS class names of the same form).

Furthermore the PHP-API is broken when it comes to images/icons. You may
(must?) provide height/width attributes all along (in the PHP code!), etc.

IMHO a real API lets a skin/theme define some standard sizes of icons.
And an implementation of that skin - a (colour) scheme - has to provide
images in that size.

Conclusion: while I don't think that the clean-slate approach of TYPO3
5.0 must have been that strict, I think it's a gift when it comes to
skinning.

Masi