[TYPO3-50-general] PHP Data Objects (PDO)

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Fri Nov 24 12:08:52 CET 2006

Cyprian Kowalczyk schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I've found this feature [PHP Data Objects (PDO)] recently and I'm
> wondering if you plan/can use it in Typo3 5.0?
>
> Here short description from [1]:
>
> PDO provides a uniform data access interface, sporting advanced
> features  such as prepared statements and bound parameters. PDO drivers
> are  dynamically loadable and may be developed independently from the
> core, but  still accessed using the same API.
>
> PDO is not a query abstraction layer like ADODB or Pear DB; it provides
> how we access the databases and how the result from the databases are
> handled, projects like ADODB might implement a PDO backend, but do not
> get  confused and think that these two things are the same.
>
> What do you think?

That PDO is the way to go if you access a DB "directly". As you still need
to cope with SQL variants you need a little help in creating SQL
statements. So it's still ADOdb for me.

I don't know if a dev is still allowed to access a SQL-DB by other means
then via the CR.

IMHO the PHP-CR should use ADOdb to access the SQL-DB. Any other code
should use ADOdb as well. All current SQL-generating code should be
replaced by ones accessing ADOdb directly (no Mysql-SQL parsing and
recreating as done with DBAL).

Masi