[TYPO3-50-general] General thoughts on namespaces and other ideas...

Johannes Reichardt typo3 at gramba.de
Tue Nov 14 18:52:12 CET 2006

Hi there!

unfortunatly my 1&1 server does not get initialized since days so i have
too much time to waste yours with some macro-suggestions :)

- HTML templates might be called like "template.tpl.PHP"
I do not know if its really true but i often heared that php cachers do
not cache .html files - so having a template named like this would make
it beter cacheable.

- General thoughts on best practice/coding guidelines about separating
code and presentation
Something which bugs me extremly about current extensions is the
*extremly markered* code. I would even disagree that the
ultra-separation of code and html in extensions is of great benefit at
all. I worked on hoicommunity for example and fully rewrote it in the
end - now its like 20% of the code size with pretty much the same
functionality. Also - if you really use a complex extension you can
hardly ever use it out of the box anyway - and in this case i would
prefer a small single php class where i can fire a ctrl-f to find the
part i want to change instead of having a bloated class where the logic
is hidden behind markers and then to switch between tons of documents to
make my change.

In other words: I think typo3 makes a big mistake right now: It forgets
that it will be finally installed on just one computer for one
application in the end. So all the tricks to make it work *generally*
add overhead that slows - at least to my opinion. Please correct me if
i´m wrong ;)

- You really want to stick to XML editor?
It looks choppy and i really do not understand why typo3 needs such
extra sausages for documentation. I personally would prefer a simply
wiki and some plugins that make a nice printable version. Please
enlighten me if there is a good reason for it.

- Johannes