[TYPO3-50-general] Lighttpd as "standard"

Johannes Reichardt typo3 at gramba.de
Thu Nov 23 22:47:31 CET 2006

Hi Andreas,
> I started digging into the LightTPD configuration. At my current knowledge
> level of LightTPD I can only confirm the results from the article [1]
> Michael Scharkow wrote for the T3N magazine regarding the performance of
> TYPO3. While LightTPD seems to be very fast delivering static pages and
> simple PHP based pages it is slower than Apache 2 with mod_php delivering
> TYPO3 pages.
>
> Can you confirm this?

I guess Michael is right. I have a (after days of figuring ;) a nice
setup with apache2.2 and mpm-worker module which is even faster now,
also i have my "apache style" .htaccess back ;)

To my current knowledge Apache 2.2 with mpm-worker and fcgid and xcache
is the most performant solution right now. My ab requests per second raised
from ~5 (untuned) to about 24 (with lighttpd) and are now around 30 -
all with uncached pages containing user_int stuff.

I will write a howto on that setup soon, quite easy with debian sid.

Conclusion: Lighttpd or apache is a matter of taste, but mpm-worker and
fcgid is a high performant must for apache.

- Johannes