[Flow] Composer question regarding Flow

Christian Loock chl at vkf-renzel.de
Tue Nov 4 10:33:23 CET 2014

Am 04.11.2014 um 10:10 schrieb Martin Kutschker:
> Am 04.11.2014 09:58, schrieb Christian Loock:
>>
>> IIRC, typo3/party is somewhat directly integrated into flows account
>> model. Security probably wouldn't work without it.
>
> The motivation is related to my idea how the word of Flow and Neos can
> be spread. IMHO am all-or-nothing framework has a slow start. It's not
> easy to get a momentum in the developer community outside of TYPO3. So
> the point is to create smaller units, you may call them components, as
> appetizers.
>
> If you break up the monolithic Flow into a typo3/flow-essentials
> (core, name it to your tase) and a couple of optional packages you
> create the possibility to integrate Flow stuff into other projects.
> Symfony does this (at least to some degree) and Zend Framework is
> nearly full componentized (is that a word).

I am not even sure if Flow wants to be like this. Imho, the strength of
flow is, that it is a full featured application framework, that comes
with all the bits you need to create web applications, out of the box.
The tight connection between it's components is one of it's biggest
strength. If you want a really modular framework, you certainly can find
one allready out there (like you mentioned, Zend Framework would be a
great example). Even though you probably are right, that you could be
able to get it running without Fluid or Party. A Web application without
a web frontend and hence a templating engine, does not really make sense
to me, so I dont see any issue with Flow providing it's own
implementation in fluid. Also, having a security framework, that does
not store any person related data, does not make much sense either.
Thats why you need party. Even though it might seem like a neat feature
idea to be able to use whatever templating engine you want with flow, I
dont really see anybody that has used Fluid before doing it, because it
profits so much from flow and vice versa.