[Flow] Composer question regarding Flow

Martin Kutschker masi-20l4 at typo3.org
Tue Nov 4 11:21:43 CET 2014

Am 04.11.2014 10:33, schrieb Christian Loock:>
 > Am 04.11.2014 um 10:10 schrieb Martin Kutschker:
 >> Am 04.11.2014 09:58, schrieb Christian Loock:
 >>
 >> If you break up the monolithic Flow into a typo3/flow-essentials
 >> (core, name it to your tase) and a couple of optional packages you
 >> create the possibility to integrate Flow stuff into other projects.
 >> Symfony does this (at least to some degree) and Zend Framework is
 >> nearly full componentized (is that a word).
 >>
 > I am not even sure if Flow wants to be like this.

Probably it doesn't want to. But this way it will never ever attrack
anyone outside of the little TYPO3 world.

 > Imho, the strength of
 > flow is, that it is a full featured application framework, that comes
 > with all the bits you need to create web applications, out of the box.

And so is Symfonym, yet you can get parts of it to be used within Flow.

 > Even though you probably are right, that you could be
 > able to get it running without Fluid or Party. A Web application without
 > a web frontend and hence a templating engine, does not really make sense
 > to me, so I dont see any issue with Flow providing it's own
 > implementation in fluid.

Nothing is wrong with Fluid. It's great. My point is that if I want to
convince someone to learn Flow, I can make him to make smaller steps in
learning if he can reuse older knowledge. So if I can start using Flow
with Smarty this is IMHO great. Next time when I'm confident with FLow
I'll switch to Fluid. But in the first case I don't want Fluid to sit
idle around on my hard disk. It won't da any harm but I like my projects
to be free of unused code.

 > Also, having a security framework, that does
 > not store any person related data, does not make much sense either.

Again, ship a core of Flow core without the security stuff and you don't
need Party.

 > Even though it might seem like a neat feature
 > idea to be able to use whatever templating engine you want with flow, I
 > dont really see anybody that has used Fluid before doing it, because it
 > profits so much from flow and vice versa.

In TYPO3 core you can use Fluid even if you don't use anything else of
Extbase. And besides the main part of Fluid (syntax and all) can do fine
without Flow (referring to MVC and form handling).

Masi