[Typo3-windows] Newbie Windows NT installation questions...

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Thu Oct 13 00:01:27 CEST 2005

Hello Alisa,

> I am not too comfortable with the server side of
> things, but am more comfortable with Unix/Linix than with Windows and
> IIS. I have XAMPP set up on my desktop.

I then advise you to make the installation of TYPO3 first on your desktop.
The best way to learn and test. You can have an installation without ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick,
but it is an important part of how TYPO3 handling images (scaling and so
on). I will say that it's a very important part. The installation of IM is
straightforward both on Windows, Mac and Linux (as I know, have only made
the installation on Windows and Linux). Use the latest version. You find
most of the information here. http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php.
Your GD installation is like it should be (GD2 with Freetype). Your later
post.

> I have my site layed out the
> way I want it and am hoping to be able to duplicate it with Typo3. I
> have not downloaded it yet, but will probably get a chance to do so
> this Friday or this weekend. I spent this past weekend making the
> layout.

TYPO3 is one of the CMS I know of that really segregate the layout and the
content. My own installations are always made this way. I making the design
first in Photoshop, then code it in XHTML and CSS, and then implement it
in TYPO3. And I get the design I want. As somebody says, with TYPO3 you could
do nearly everything, but not your housework. Even TYPO3 is quite easy to
install. But TYPO3 is complex, and it takes some time to learn and understand
the logic.

When downloading, download both the Dummy and Quickstart package. Why - the
dummy is a clean package and the Quickstart has a small site and a very nice
Getting Started Manual.

> Is the book "Typo3: Enterprise Content Management" (Paperback) by Rene
> Fritz, Daniel Hinderink, Werner Altmann a worthwhile investment?

I think so, but thats my opinion. It's going through most of the parts who
are important for installation, configuration and administration. The first
150 pages are really a help from first day, and the last 200 you can grow
with.

Ciao

Erik