[Typo3-windows] Newbie Windows NT installation questions...

Alisa Davis casa3311 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 12 20:16:02 CEST 2005

Erik,

Thank you for your wonderful and very complete response to my question. I am
very new to CMS in general. I have browsed the "Futuristic Template Building
manual" briefly, and will print it out and read it more completely. My old
eyes don't read well on the computer monitor :). I am not too comfortable
with the server side of things, but am more comfortable with Unix/Linix than
with Windows and IIS. I have XAMPP set up on my desktop. I have my site
layed out the way I want it and am hoping to be able to duplicate it with
Typo3. I have not downloaded it yet, but will probably get a chance to do so
this Friday or this weekend. I spent this past weekend making the layout. I
will also reference the links you included. I'm sure they will be very
helpful.

Is the book "Typo3: Enterprise Content Management" (Paperback) by Rene
Fritz, Daniel Hinderink, Werner Altmann a worthwhile investment?

Thanks,
Alisa

Hello Alisa,

Welcome to the community. About installation of TYPO3 on windows, som hints
are found here, http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Windows.

The main concern about installation on IIS is to give the user
IUSR_machinename
correct permissions to the TYPO3 catalogs, and some other programs. There
are quite a number of post on this list about it. But as I have given the
solution some times, i copy it here.

The following catalogs need write, read and execute (maybe also change)
permissions

for the user IUSR_<machinename>.
- fileadmin
- fileadmin/_temp/
- typo3temp
- typo3conf
- typo3conf/ext/
- typo3/ext/
- uploads/pics/
- uploads/media/
- uploads/tf/

When it comes to ImageMagick it should be installed by someone with
administrator
right. Maybe I remember wrong, but I think I had to give the IUSR at least
read permission to the catalog. Maybe also execute. You can also use
GraphicsMagic
(I think it's better).

The IUSR also also has to have execute permisson to the file cmd.exe who
resides somewhere in the winnt/windows catalog. To have better security,
copy it to the catalog where php resides, and give this file the correct
permission. ImageMagick uses the cmd.exe. There are some posts on this issue
to.

Else it's more or less the same steps as an apache installation. The
neccessary
changes to the php.ini has to be made.

And TYPO3 can make fully tableless design. If you check www.linnearad.no
(Norwegian), you will see. It's only one place tables are used and I don't
want them, around images. It can be avoided with a new extension who I
haven't
installed yet.

>From your post it looks like you don't have used TYPO3 before (maybe I'm
wrong). If I'm correct I will advise you to look at the Futuristic Template
Building manual. Really helpful. You should also be aware of the possibility
to make the whole new site on your own desktop (either it's Linux, Windows,
Apache or IIS), and export it to the production server.

Hope it gives you the neccessary help.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no