[TYPO3-UG US] OT: Forms, accessibility (was Drupal vs. TYPO3)

Zachary Davis, Cast Iron Coding LLC zach at castironcoding.com
Thu May 7 15:00:34 CEST 2009

JoH asenau wrote:

> I did a tutorial about that in Dallas and Zach Davis had a talk with almost
> the same topic and we both came to the conclusion that it's not a problem of
> TYPO3 itself but a lack of TypoScript knowledge among extension developers
> that makes working with many extensions so mindsplittingly complicated.
>
> Just my 2 cents
>
> Joey

Yes, I absolutely agree here - sr_feuser_register is a perfect example
of a major problem with TYPO3. No offense to the extension developer,
but in my experience, it's always faster to develop a custom signup
extension than it is to configure sr_feuser_register to do what the
client wants. It's just not a cost-effective, viable option for most of
the sites that we do; to set it up properly requires too much time and
energy. Imagine a new TYPO3 user sitting down and setting up a frontend
user signup form with sr_feuser_register. Imagine the frustration that
would entail. If it were me, I'd almost certainly walk away.

I'm not saying sr_feuser_register doesn't have value - people have been
using it for years with apparent results. But I think we have to admit
that a solution that complicated for a task as basic as signup is going
to drive away a ton of users.

And yes, It absolutely does _NOT_ have to be this way in TYPO3. I agree
with Joey that typoscript is generally not used as efficiently as it
could be. I also think that the approach to templating in TYPO3
extensions is really pretty awful; we've been using our own templating
mechanism for 3 or 4 years now. (On the other hand, I think the overall
approach to creating site templates in TYPO3 is great)

All this is changing, though, and it couldn't happen soon enough -
hopefully Fluid and extbase solves a lot of these problems.

Zach

--
Zach Davis
zach at castironcoding.com