[TYPO3-UG US] TYPO3 Americas: Update on thoughts

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Sat Oct 21 09:24:45 CEST 2006

Hi,

Michael Cannon wrote:
> Never fear,
> here's an update on my current thoughts for TYPO3Americas.org and
> combining with TYPO3.us.
> -----
>
> Though last
> years viral marketing presentation at TYCON3 seemed a bit of a flop
> to the developers present, it still has possibilities for success.
>
> The reason TYPO3Americas.org was launched was Rueven Cohen, of
> Enonamly, and I were tired of waiting for TYPO3.us and upon hearing
> Michelle was backing down, we talked before and during T3CON and
> launched the site in two days just to get something started.

You illuminate a good point here in your comments, and it bears
mentioning due to the fact that it is the biggest problem facing the
TYPO3 community in general, and the TYPO3.us project in specific.

In the first quoted comment, you offhandedly put down a marketing plan
that people had worked months on, and you did so without any perspective
on what actually had gone into creating the presentation. In the second
quoted comment, you admit to sitting on the sidelines for 11 months
while your donations were actively being requested, and then instead of
contributing to an existing effort, hurried to put out your own product.
During those 11 months, many people had donated their time to the TYPO3
US project, but ultimately the failure of the project was not due to
anyone working on it, the failure was a result of those people who only
sat around waiting for it, not donating their time. Also, using words
and phrases such as "a bit of a flop", "tired of waiting",
"floundering", etc., tends to not only *not* contribute and move the
project forward, but rather helps to hinder the project as volunteers
feel the time they donate is not appreciated by those who aren't doing
anything but complaining about how much work isn't being done.

You are right, the marketing is a job for the entire community. My
question would be: for the last 11 months of requests for donations
towards the project what were you "waiting" for?

Alex