[TYPO3-UG US] TYPO3 Americas: Update on thoughts

Michael Cannon michael-typo3 at cannonbose.com
Fri Oct 20 09:36:12 CEST 2006

Not much is happening yet as I've been on business in Israel and am
still in Russia since T3CON finished a couple weeks ago. Never fear,
here's an update on my current thoughts for TYPO3Americas.org and
combining with TYPO3.us.
-----

I'm approaching the US TYPO3 efforts from a North, Latin, and South
American aspect. The reason I'm doing this, is that American
businesses are slowly learning there's a global market out there that
they can reach. Additionally, the 3 Americas combined is a very
strong marketplace in which many TYPO3 providers can exist in.

In the Netherlands alone, there's over 100 TYPO3 agencies, the
Netherlands are about as big Florida. We've got 50 states and many
provinces, yet there's barely 10 US agencies that I know of. Folks
are even backing out of TYPO3 in the US due to lack of awareness and
support for it.

TYPO3.us and TYPO3Americas.org are to become one and the same. Since
TYPO3.us is pretty well populated, I'll look to move
TYPO3Americas.org to it and become the base domain. As we fill out
TYPO3Americas.org with additional content, content clean up, and more
community building features such as blogs, mailing list linked
forums, usergroups, etc., we'll also ask for assistance to create
French, Spanish, and Portuguese translations of the website.

I don't want to see any agency specifically sponsored by
TYPO3Americas.org, but a central showcase linking to agencies and how
folks can contact them is fine. For general leads to
TYPO3Americas.org, they'll be driven back to the typo3americas
mailing list. The typo3americas mailing list is something that I
envision as a more active means for suppliers to communicate with
each other and to demonstrate the active community and support
options to consumers.

Leadership in Europe, defined a Kasper and Daniel, states that it's
the agency responsibility to promote TYPO3 to consumers. The TYPO3
Association is responsible for the developer community. As such, I
envision TYPO3Americas as the sponsor of the TYPO3 Marketers
Association whose responsibility is to promote TYPO3 worldwide. True,
our focus will be the Americas as that's what's local to us.

Ideas for marketing TYPO3 in the Americas include translating T3N
into English and other languages in the Americas, local and national
usergroups, online and offline supplier and consumer conferences. Of
course, traditional print media might be used, but TYPO3 seems to be
most successful through some form of viral marketing. Though last
years viral marketing presentation at TYCON3 seemed a bit of a flop
to the developers present, it still has possibilities for success.

The reason TYPO3Americas.org was launched was Rueven Cohen, of
Enonamly, and I were tired of waiting for TYPO3.us and upon hearing
Michelle was backing down, we talked before and during T3CON and
launched the site in two days just to get something started. Since
rc1.typo3.us has come out, we've got something new to start really
with and we can finally move ahead. We also went the direction we're
taking based upon the feedback of many small and big movers and
shakers in the TYPO3 community such as Sander of Netcreator, Deigo of
Webformat, Erik of TYPO3.no, and Kasper.

We're a community and your thoughts are not only wanted, but needed.

Michael

-----
Michael Cannon
President of Cannonbose, LLC
Tel    : +1 (603) 294-4418         Fax : +1 (802) 609-2776