[TYPO3-UG US] any recommendations for a dedicated hosting provider?

Floyd Arguello floyd at icommnetwork.com
Sun Jan 15 10:36:26 CET 2006

Hi Greg, Michael;

Thanks for the info... ThePlanet looks like it will meet my needs. The
prices are reasonable, data centers in a good location, etc...

CustomIT looks good, too; but they didn't provide much information on
their site, and I prefer not to speak with sales unless absolutely
necessary.

Michael Cannon wrote:
> During server setup, I have TouchSupport perform the following tasks  at
> http://rfxnetworks.com/linux_appsec_secbundle.php and http://
> www.rvskin.com/index.php?page=public/antispam. Afterwards, there's  not
> much left to use the boxes.

I'm a big fan of the SARE rulesets, and use Rules du Jour to keep them
updated... people should be careful about which rulesets they choose;
some of those rules could target their industry/country/etc... I use
Sendmail, and configure both Clam and Spamassassin as milters... uses
less resources, no need to upgrade RAM. You figure 1GB of RAM through
the planet runs you $240/year, and a simple 10 minute install and config
just saved you that. Spam is rejected during SMTP (spamassassin isn't
called for each user a message is intended), and virtmaps and aliases
are scanned without procmail recipes. There's an equivalent for Exim:
http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/sa.html

> In the end though, I'm of the same frame of mind as Greg, pay more  for
> reliability and security. One bad day of hosting is all you need  to
> ruin your reputation for a couple of years. Sadly, I learned the  hard
> way when a disk array crashed taking my live and backup hard  drives
> with them.

I agree. I currently use VPS's, and will actually save money by moving
to dedicated servers. Also have the benefit of multiple IP's and SSL's
(without hacks), and control over my OS.

For sites local to Phoenix, I will colo a server at a data-center I
found here. I don't suppose anyone knows where I can purchase a server
at a good price? I know I can google it, but too many hacks manage to
get good search engine rankings.

Thanks again,
Floyd