[TYPO3-UG US] Quickstart Questions

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 19:45:48 CET 2005

Hi Virgil,

On 30/10/05, virgil huston <virgil.huston at gmail.com> wrote:
> In working with the Quickstart package, I have some questions that may
> affect development of the new Quickstart package, as well as the
> manual. Remember, I am pretty much a newbie, so these questions may be
> stupid, but any other newbie is going to have similiar issues, I
> think.
>
> 1. When you unzip the package, it goes into a newly created Quickstart
> folder. No where does the documentation tell you this and my early
> problems with installs revolved around my inability to get to the
> istall script because I dodn't know I had to add the new folder path.
> The question here is, is it necessary to have the contents extracted
> this way? Why can't it just extract without the folder?
>
> 2. I ended up unzipping the package and then moving everything where I
> wanted it. Is this OK or will it cause problems later? It installed
> fine after the move.

1. Ever extract thousands of files that you [wrongly] _thought_ would
extract to their own directory into another directory? Unzipping to a
directory is definitely the lesser evil ;-)

As for the locations of files, the file INSTALL.txt in the quickstart
package is reasonably clear about this -- though it does seem to
assume that you're working on your own server, not a shared host:

<quote>
INSTALLATION GUIDELINES - TYPO3
===============================

Now that your web server is ready, you can install TYPO3...

<snip>

2 - Set up your web server to point to the correct location. Set the
default document to be index.php (this is done with the DirectoryIndex
directive in Apache)
</quote>

Anyway, if you think it needs to be made clearer, just email the
quickstart package's maintainer(s) and suggest a sentence or two for
them to insert into the file...

2. This is fine. The directory the stuff gets unzipped to is just a
bucket, and any bucket will do ;-D

-Christopher