[TYPO3-UG US] Partner section and TYPO3.us

Daniel Hinderink [TYPO3] daniel at typo3.org
Sun Oct 16 09:41:56 CEST 2005

Hi Reuven,

First off, I am glad to find this list alive and kicking. It seems you guys
get rolling with TYPO3.us and I am quite exited about the perspectives of
your collective effort.

in article mailman.1.1129398867.29384.typo3-ug-us at lists.netfielders.de,
Reuven Cohen, Enomaly at ruv at enomaly.com wrote on 15.10.2005 19:54 Uhr:

> A business plan is a must. I wouldn't get involved without one.
>

> In regards to the TYPO3 association, I think this should be separate. We may
> want to donate something back, but I feel it should be run independently.
> From my vantage point the association seems fairly useless. We signed up,
> although I still don't see the benefits for our company.

I am surprised that you write this after having been at TYCON3. I also trust
the .com listing is actually helping your company.

But the main benefit of course is that without the Association, core
development as it is being done at this very moment would have been
unthinkable. For the first time in this project a number of developers
actually work together and dedicate 100% of their time to make 4.0 a
reality.

I daresay the project would be slowly dying without it, so what you get for
your money is a future for your software basis. I think it is really cheap
at 500 Euros per year.

On a more general note: It seems for some it is hard to accept that the
Association is not offering many additional benefits that are exclusive to
members. At the same time I haven't read any suggestions that aren't in
direct opposition to the Open Source culture the project is based on.

I would like to take the chance to explain, why there are not more of those
exclusive benefits. The Association will never (be able or even wants to)
replace voluntary work for the project, it is adding to it. We don't want to
risk to demotivate those volunteers by starting a habit of creating
exclusive benefits, when we don't need to. If that means we'll loose or
won't win those members that seek more immediate revenue from their member
fees, that is the smaller loss, than loosing the volunteers contribution. I
still believe (and hope) to many members 500 Euros per year is an investment
they easily make without worrying about the direct/exclusive revenue that
much. Time will tell...

Cheers

Daniel