[TYPO3-UG US] A new and proper Quickstart

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Sat Oct 15 23:58:49 CEST 2005

Michelle,

On 10/15/05, Michelle Heizer <michelle at typo3.us> wrote:

> > - who would be interested in participating in this project, and how?
>
> Let me start getting a group together for this. I believe it will need
> to be coordinated with the new "documentation group". So anyone who is
> interested in a new and better quickstart, email me off list at
> michelle at typo3.us. I'm beginning to create groups for each project and
> want to keep everything coordinated so I can publish it on typo3.us.

As a side note - I think we should think of some way to manage this as
a project in a transparent manner. What this means in real life is a
Wiki, public versioning system and maybe a bug/ticket tracker. In my
experience, good project management and communication tools can make
or destroy a development project where contributors don't meet face to
face.

In other words, we should agree from the very beginning that we either
set up a US-marketing specific repository or use the one at the
sourceforge typo3xdev project, that we either decide to use the
"mothership"'s Mantis or something else, and whether we use the global
Wiki or set up our own (I think Greg has mentioned Wiki before).

We are quite successfully using Trac (http://www.edgewall.com/trac/)
for all of the above and if we decide that we neet a separate space
for all these efforts I can easily get it set up.

> I think it should be a small business instead. That way we can look a
> bit more professional and gain more businesses and consultancies, but
> still be neutral.

My only reservation about it is the fact that a site like that would
look weird if it did not have online store, and e-commerce is not
particularly a strength of Typo3 (we always use osCommerce when we
need an online store, for example).

However, if we took a broad definition of small business and maybe
thought about a service-oriented company or a non-profit, this could
work. What do you think?

> Also, picking "the" sport would probably be more
> difficult because the people who are into sports are generally more
> passionate about one than another.
> BTW, I love basketball. ;)

How about mountain biking?

> News, Calendar, Login, Banner Ads, RTE, tipafriend, Printer-friendly
> version, contact forms, a simple custom extension (maybe a product
> catalog) specific to the "business" that will show TYPO3's scalability
> and how to create an extension: Zach of Cast Iron Coding and developer
> of the infamous CHC Forum has offered to donate some programming time to
> the project.

Great!

> As this is setup, we will need Flash tutorials and documentation created
> at the same time. So we need people to volunteer that have a variety of
> skills in these areas.

Flash may not be optimal - videos (similar to the ones at typo3.org)
are much easier to make, in my experience, but otherwise I agree.

--
Dimitri Tarassenko