[TYPO3-UG US] A new and proper Quickstart

Michelle Heizer michelle at typo3.us
Sat Oct 15 23:31:02 CEST 2005

Hi Dimitri,

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 15:30 -0400, Dimitri Tarassenko wrote:
> Now that we have plenty of native speakers willing to participate, I
> would like to start this as another topic to discuss the following:
>
> - where does everybody place this project in terms of priority -
> should we maybe pay attention to something else first?

I think this is a high priority. A good quickstart is key to successful
adoption of the software.

> - who would be interested in participating in this project, and how?

Let me start getting a group together for this. I believe it will need
to be coordinated with the new "documentation group". So anyone who is
interested in a new and better quickstart, email me off list at
michelle at typo3.us. I'm beginning to create groups for each project and
want to keep everything coordinated so I can publish it on typo3.us.

> - what would be a good sample "entity" to showcase? I think it should
> be American enough to not look "foreign", it preferrably should not
> contain any terms where US/Intl English differ (such as soccer vs.
> football question;), it should be neutral enough to not alienate
> anyone (in other words, it should be acceptable to show as a sample
> both to your local NRA and ACLU chapters, as well as your pastor,
> rabbi or the leader of your undercover Greenpeace cell;). It should
> not be too American to alienate our British, Australian, NZ and
> Canadian friends. Sports are actually great idea, maybe we should pick
> one.

I think it should be a small business instead. That way we can look a
bit more professional and gain more businesses and consultancies, but
still be neutral. Also, picking "the" sport would probably be more
difficult because the people who are into sports are generally more
passionate about one than another. BTW, I love basketball. ;)

> - Typo3 has gone a long way since QuickStart, so what are your
> thoughts on which extensions and capabilities need to be showcased?

News, Calendar, Login, Banner Ads, RTE, tipafriend, Printer-friendly
version, contact forms, a simple custom extension (maybe a product
catalog) specific to the "business" that will show TYPO3's scalability
and how to create an extension: Zach of Cast Iron Coding and developer
of the infamous CHC Forum has offered to donate some programming time to
the project.

As this is setup, we will need Flash tutorials and documentation created
at the same time. So we need people to volunteer that have a variety of
skills in these areas.

Thanks!

Michelle