[TYPO3-UG US] A new and proper Quickstart

Gregory Remington greg at mediatech.net
Mon Oct 17 06:30:13 CEST 2005

Dimitri Tarassenko wrote:
 > - where does everybody place this project in terms of priority -
 > should we maybe pay attention to something else first?

It's pretty important. If we can produce a distribution that is simple
to install and preconfigured for one size fits all I believe people will
have more patience with learning how to use it.

 > - who would be interested in participating in this project, and how?

I can pitch in a CSS template and modify it to specs beginning November
1st or assist someone in redesigning one.

 > - what would be a good sample "entity" to showcase? I think it should
 > be American enough to not look "foreign"

What about an "international" blend of characteristics with bold
American overtones sprinkled here and there. Attracting an international
market can't hurt. A clean/simple Euro/Asian look is useful.

 > - Typo3 has gone a long way since QuickStart, so what are your
 > thoughts on which extensions and capabilities need to be showcased?

Off the top of my head:

tt_shop
tt_news + timtab
chc_forum
DAM
HTMLArea
sr_feuser_register

I haven't had time to evaluate all the photo galeries and calendar
choices this year. Anyone else?

There are so many smaller extensions that are vital that I could
generate a foot long list... no, not quite as long as the extension
repository list ;) Things like cron_cssstyledimgtext and css_select for
XHTML compliance and RSS feeds are important. Enhancements like
fe_mp3player should be considered too.

Cheers,
Greg