[TYPO3-UG US] Support Section and TYPO3.us

Michelle Heizer michelle at typo3.us
Fri Oct 14 07:36:24 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 22:15 -0600, Gabriel Anast wrote:

> I think this is in general a bad idea. Kasper has made Typo3 in English
> for easy accessibility... I think if anything, we should make a system
> whereby native English speakers can update / proofread the *existing*
> English materials and "perfect" it. Making a separate site for English
> speakers will tend to "fork" the documentation/forums which is a really
> bad idea.

I don't think anyone is wanting to "fork" into another TYPO3. Instead,
we are looking at ways to complement what is already being done in
Europe, except focus on the US. We want to be an extension of the TYPO3
global community that reaches into a specific region and offers help to
others. If our goal is to spread TYPO3, how do we plan to support new
users? We need to consider this now or we will lose people quickly. For
example, if we attend conferences, spread press releases, submit
magazine ads and get thousands of people interested in using TYPO3, what
would happen if each of them posted a question on the English mailing
list? Could the current community support them or do we need to find
alternatives?

> Yes, but make it a gateway to a single repository. In my opinion it is
> *very* important not to separate into two Typo3's...

Exactly. I'm reminded of how many global companies have individual
country portals for their websites. Their message, brand and product is
the same, the only difference is that they are targeting a region. This
is a big departure in what we've traditionally done in T3 marketing, but
we needed to consider alternatives to handle the growth of the
community.

Michelle