[TYPO3-UG US] Outline of "Learning TYPO3" documentation

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Fri Nov 18 09:42:49 CET 2005

Hi Dimitri,

Dimitri Tarassenko wrote:

>>If people learned TS first, it would actually cut down on the amount of
>>documentation and questions.
>

> I am sorry, Michelle, this is just not going to happen. TS is by far
> the ugliest part of TYPO3, and it should be introduced in very small
> doses in the beginning.

TS may be ugly but it sits at the very heart of TYPO3 and you will not
get very far without it. It may be a marketing argument that with
autoparser/TV you get a site up quickly by having your mind read but I
fully agree with Michelle.

> I would agree that TV is clunky and bloated. So, the middle road (MTB
> / autoparser) seems to be the ticket. Most of the people would be
> interested in "How can I use my HTML template in TYPO3" rather than
> "How do I re-build my HTML template in TYPO3 using TypoScript".

You don't have to build the whole thing in TS only. Templating is
available and has been documented since GoLive. I think this is the most
accessible way to introduce TS templates because you can use your HTML
but you need to explicitly set marks where the content goes. MTB
introduces too much "magic" to templating and as the old Python saying
goes: explicit is better than implicit.

Moreover, I think it's a good idea to implement a first tutorial site
*only* with core TYPO3 tools because newbies will wonder why the "best
practice" way of templating is only available if you download an
extension or two...

You can still hint to the possibilities of the autoparser extension and
TV after introducing the basic concepts of TS.

Greetings,
Michael