[TYPO3-UG US] Outline of "Learning TYPO3" documentation

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Fri Nov 18 05:30:05 CET 2005

Michelle,

On 11/17/05, Michelle Heizer <michelle at typo3.us> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 20:46 -0500, Dimitri Tarassenko wrote:
> > I would agree that TV is clunky and bloated. So, the middle road (MTB
> > / autoparser) seems to be the ticket. Most of the people would be
> > interested in "How can I use my HTML template in TYPO3" rather than
> > "How do I re-build my HTML template in TYPO3 using TypoScript".
>
> Sorry, I still disagree. Without knowing TypoScript, you will never
> build a real template. Learning in doses is more confusing and just
> avoids the inevitable task of learning the fundamentals of TYPO3.

I had an impression that the tutorial in question was planned more as
a marketing tool rather than an in-depth study guide. Is this not the
case anymore? If we still plan to use it as a marketing tool I would
say we should emphasize ease of use and minimize the learning curve to
get a newbie's first site running.

I built a couple of my first templates quite successfully following
the MTB as a guide, way before I read any documentation on TypoScript,
so I disagree that TypoScript knowledge is an absolute must.

--
Dimitri Tarassenko