[TYPO3-UG US] Problem with a menu...

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Thu Nov 17 20:57:24 CET 2005

>> Here is the typoscript for temp.subnavigation_html:
>
> <snip>
>
> There's nothing obviously wrong with your TS--though the oldstyle html
> cruft makes it harder to read. Two things to try/look at:
>
> 1. Take out 'entryLevel = 1' and see if it works at all. If it _does_
> work then we'll know that 'entryLevel' is the source of the problem.
>
> 2. Post the bit of your code where the temp menu object gets copied
> into the main TS template (should be somthing like foo.bar <
> temp.subnavigation_html).
>
> As an aside, I'd suggest learning a bit of css; there is absolutely
> nothing in the menu code you're generating that couldn't be
> accomplished with this code and a bit of css:
>
> temp.subnavigation_html = HMENU
> subnavigation_html {
>   1 = TMENU
>   1 {
>     wrap = <ul id="navigation">|</ul>
>
>     NO {
>       wrapItemAndSub = <li>|</li>
>     }
>   }
>
>   2 < .1
>   2.wrap = <ul>|</ul>
> }
>
> _Much_ simpler debugging...

You are absolutetly right, but in this case it might be a problem, since the
oldstyle HTML is a result of the fact that Chris is using the GREEN
template, which is a static template from the early days of TYPO3.
IMHO it would be wiser to drop this template and rebuild the site from
scratch. This way it would be
a) modern and valid XHTML code
b) less problems due to incompatibilities between the original GREEN
template and the desired result
c) you already named it: _much_ simpler debugging

Could this be an option, Chris?
I will be able to help with any problems you might run into but I won't even
touch one of the current static templates, since this would be just a waste
of time with just an average result if you are lucky.

Maybe it's a good idea if someone of the TYPO3 cracks in the US (and I know
there are some) will offer something like a "TYPO3 basics workshop".
I would do it but I don't think many of the newbies would like to pay
additional flight tickets and a hotel room ;-)

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.openbc.com/go/invuid/Jo_Hasenau