[TYPO3-UG US] New Design for TYPO3.us

Elmar Hinz elmar.hinz at vcd-berlin.de
Sat Nov 5 23:21:21 CET 2005

> So you think it should look like the Napster interface? Or...?

You think, he made the napster interface? :-)

> In general, saying only what you don't like about a design to a
> designer, without offering a specific suggestion of what they *should*
> do instead is probably the least valuable kind of comment to a designer
> and is the least likely kind of comment to get results from. If people
> are going to take the time to comment, make it something that the
> designer will actually listen to. "It sucks" doesn't give anybody
> anything to go on. "Can you make it look more like templatemonster
> template #96753?" is a better kind of comment.
>
> Alex

I wouldn't tell a designer what he "should do". I wouldn't tell him "Can
you make it look more like templatemonster xyz?". If I would, I would
start to mix my own design into his. The designer knows his job. He
makes his personal interpretation of a given corparate design before the
influencing background of "the mainstream".

The current mainstream in webdesgin is defined by the technical
limitations of the traditional web cms like mambo, drupal, nuke,
postnuke, xoops, etc., which are limited to a 3 columns design with
"very undesigned" stacks of side boxes.

The question is how close the desinger holdes to the mainstream and the
CI and how much individuality he dares. I think it is logical that he
should keep the CI. But I don't think it is necessary to hold close to
the mainstream, if the mainstream is the result of technical
limitations. Especially not if the unique selling point of the system is
the freedom to break out of this technical limitations.

I would like to see a bigger component of Reuvens individuality and less
concessions to the mainstream to give a direct feeling of the main
advantage of TYPO3, the full freedom of the designer.

Compare http://www.nytimes.com/ and http://typo3.com. Not for quality
(you know the financial budgets) but for flexibility. Both are
professional. And then think of the still bigger flexibility templa
voila offers.

Elmar

--
Climate change 2005: Guatemala, New Orleans, Sahel, Bangladesh, Spain,
Portugal, Austria, Swiss, France, ...