[TYPO3-UG US] New Design for TYPO3.us

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Sat Nov 5 22:56:42 CET 2005

Hello,

Elmar Hinz wrote:

>>So you think it should look like the Napster interface? Or...?
>>

>You think, he made the napster interface? :-)

Just going by what he has written in his portfolio...

>>In general, saying only what you don't like about a design to a
>>designer, without offering a specific suggestion of what they *should*
>>do instead is probably the least valuable kind of comment to a designer
>>and is the least likely kind of comment to get results from. If people
>>are going to take the time to comment, make it something that the
>>designer will actually listen to. "It sucks" doesn't give anybody
>>anything to go on. "Can you make it look more like templatemonster
>>template #96753?" is a better kind of comment.
>>
>>Alex
>>

>I wouldn't tell a designer what he "should do". I wouldn't tell him "Can
>you make it look more like templatemonster xyz?".

By saying "don't make it like you did make it", you are trying to tell
him what he should do. By telling him how you think it should look gives
him actual usable information that he can modify his design to get you
to stop saying "don't make it like you did make it". By *only* saying
"don't make it like you did make it", without providing any suggestions
guarantees you will not get what you want.

> If I would, I would
>start to mix my own design into his. The designer knows his job. He
>makes his personal interpretation of a given corparate design before the
>influencing background of "the mainstream".

The designer did his job. Either you accept it and not comment that it
should be different, or you tell him how it should be different. If you
only say "it should be different", you are wasting both your time and
the designer's. You can't tell the designer "you didn't do it right"
without "telling a designer what he should do". Language just doesn't
work that way.

Alex