[TYPO3-UG US] Learning TYPO3 (explained)

Michelle Heizer michelle at typo3.us
Thu Dec 22 06:16:47 CET 2005

Hi Elmar,

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 21:38 +0100, Elmar Hinz wrote:
> Fourthly I will lead directly to the problems real NPOs currently have
> with the rights management architecture of TYPO3. That is the problem to
> define the same groups of people in double in the FE and in the BE.
> There still is no clean solution for this and it will be one point we
> need to work on in the Extension Coordination Team.

I completely agree! I'm looking forward to seeing your team work on many
of these problems. I'll keep my eye on the list in the future.

> But let us come to timelines now:
>
> The ECT is currently concerned with updates of the quickstart and the
> testside package that should be ready with TYPO3 4.0 in february. I fear
> we will do a lot of work in parallel so. This is definitly a vaste of
> resources. But I guess we can't plan with the NPO package and additional
> tutorial within this tight corridor of time.

Probably not. Our goal is to get a version of the NPO package ready for
our April launch of the new website. It will really develop more over
time and as new versions of TYPO3 change, so will aspects of the package
and the tutorial. I see us not so much removing parts of it as adding to
it. With 5.0, we probably will need to overhaul it quite a bit.

> Nonetheless I think this should be a singular situation and we could
> plan a common release for TYPO3 4.5 in Summer 2006.  Kasper Skårhøj and
> Michael Stucki directed us to new technologies to install the packages.
>
> I think it would be of advantage if you follow the discussion upon this
> special topic in typo3.teams.extension-coordination to keep the NPO
> package stat of the art from the beginning, so that we can move towards
> a common release in summer. There is still so much to do that we
> shouldn't squander our ressources with development in parallel
> structures. A view into TER teaches us where that is leading to.

Sounds like an interesting project. How were you planning for the NPO
package to fit in with what you are doing? What would we need to add to
it to meet your needs? If this package should replace the quickstart and
testsite (and I don't see why it shouldn't), what do we need to add to
it? Personally, I feel that this package will contain all that came with
those packages, except be more updated, in one single package, featuring
all the template building options.

Michelle