[TYPO3-UG US] Learning TYPO3 (explained)

Tue Dec 20 21:38:04 CET 2005

Michelle Heizer schrieb:
> I wanted to clear up some of the confusion about the "Learning TYPO3"
> section of the new website.
>
> Dimitri had a great summary of the project: "The idea was (and still is)
> to develop a site and a tutorial that would cause less "culture shock"
> to a typical new TYPO3 user in US/Canada and use CSS/(X)HTML. It was
> supposed to replace Quickstart/Getting Started for US marketing efforts,
> however if it's going to be accepted as a real successor to Quickstart I
> guess it's even better."

[... ]

> Regards,
>
> Michelle

Thank you Michell for this well done overview. If we get this wunderfull
tutorial visioned here, it will not only replace one tutorial.

I especially like the idea of an tutorial that always presents the state
of art. I remember all those pain not to know which of the stuff I read
would be already historical.

The second thrilling aspect for me is, to get a direct comparism of the
different discussed technologies and to see how they are build on each
other.

Thirdly I personally like a NPO project much better as teaching example
than a soccer team.

Fourthly I will lead directly to the problems real NPOs currently have
with the rights management architecture of TYPO3. That is the problem to
define the same groups of people in double in the FE and in the BE.
There still is no clean solution for this and it will be one point we
need to work on in the Extension Coordination Team.

But let us come to timelines now:

The ECT is currently concerned with updates of the quickstart and the
testside package that should be ready with TYPO3 4.0 in february. I fear
we will do a lot of work in parallel so. This is definitly a vaste of
resources. But I guess we can't plan with the NPO package and additional
tutorial within this tight corridor of time.

Nonetheless I think this should be a singular situation and we could
plan a common release for TYPO3 4.5 in Summer 2006.  Kasper Skårhøj and
Michael Stucki directed us to new technologies to install the packages.

I think it would be of advantage if you follow the discussion upon this
special topic in typo3.teams.extension-coordination to keep the NPO
package stat of the art from the beginning, so that we can move towards
a common release in summer. There is still so much to do that we
shouldn't squander our ressources with development in parallel
structures. A view into TER teaches us where that is leading to.

Regards

Elmar

- --
Climate change 2005: Mexico, Guatemala, New Orleans, Sahel, Bangladesh,
Spain, Portugal, Austria, Swiss, France, ...
Production of CO2 is killing people.
Production of CO2 just for fun is killing people just for fun.