[TYPO3-UG US] Learning TYPO3 (explained)

Thu Dec 22 23:50:21 CET 2005

Michelle Heizer <michelle at typo3.us> writes:

> Sounds like an interesting project. How were you planning for the NPO
> package to fit in with what you are doing? What would we need to add to
> it to meet your needs? If this package should replace the quickstart and
> testsite (and I don't see why it shouldn't), what do we need to add to
> it? Personally, I feel that this package will contain all that came with
> those packages, except be more updated, in one single package, featuring
> all the template building options.

Hello Michelle,

if you do this package in the way you planned it, I think there is not
much to do in special to be able to use it as an official replacement or
improvement of Getting Started and maybe more.

The only problem I could image are the dates and measures you will need to
use to prevent US customers of "a cultural shock". Inches, feets,
pints, pounds, gallons, miles, ounces, ... dollars (Taler?). Words that
sound in my ears rather romantic, just like springing directly out of a
tale of the Brothers Grimm.

But I surly don't wan't to prevent you from doing this cultural adaption,
wich I know is one of the main targets of your efforts. People all over
the world love a little bit of romantic. No feets and gallons aren't
the problem with TYPO3, but date formatting and time handling allways are
hard stuff for a beginner. They are the main reason why I think this
cultural adapted tutorial is so necessary to be done. A beginner quickly
despairs on the different configurations to do to get a well formed date
in his national style and language.

I image three possible solutions for this.

1.) Adding an appendix that explains how to configure dates and times for
other countries.
2.) Delivering slightly different versions of it.
3.) Integrating a chapter upon internationalization into the tutorial.

I don't think that 2.) would be a good solution. There is to much
to organize for every new release. 3.) is the solution I like the best,
but I fear it could become to much stuff for a getting started tutorial.

But you described how the tutorial should consits of different modules and
I could image internationalization one of it. Indeed a NPO is a very good
example for an internationalized website. A lot of them work international
and request internationalized pages in real.

Regards and happy christmas,

Elmar