[TYPO3-UG US] Status of TYPO3.us

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 22:05:39 CET 2005

On 12/17/05, Zach Davis <zach at castironcoding.com> wrote:
> Christopher wrote:
> > On 12/17/05, Zach Davis <zach at castironcoding.com> wrote:
> >

> > Yes! But I don't know how this has turned into an either/or
> > proposition; if the project will be distributed as a complete site in
> > a tarball, and the goal is to teach users how to template a site, why
> > not just figure out how many methods there actually _are_ (I say
> > two...), and make a site based on each one? This would involve
> > relatively little extra work, and could be used to demonstrate a
> > useful feature of Typo3--multiple sites in one tree.
>
> I think Christopher's idea is a good one, and a good compromise -- why
> not use the same template, integrated in three different ways, as an
> example of different methods of putting together a template. We could
> clearly label the approach Alex and others advocate as a basic or
> foundational approach, but we could also make the other two approaches
> (MTB and FTB) available as well and and note that they're more advanced.
> I would be happy to do the extra work involved.
>
> Alex, how do you feel about this idea?

Just an add-on: In my view the best thing about doing it this way is
that it would be very easy to demonstrate both _that_ and _how_ TS is
fundamental to any templating/implementation project in Typo3 (i.e.
since the great bulk of the TS would be common to both (or all three)
methods).

The accompanying documentation might still choose to follow a path
similar to Basic: TS-only implementation -> Advanced: TV/TS
implementation, but I think it very important that both methods be
present and well-demonstrated. Again, IMO, it makes far _less_ sense
to include the automaketemplate stuff in a package like this than it
does to include Templavoila. Speaking for myself, the piece of
documentation that was the single biggest obstacle in my learning
TS-only templating was the MTB documentation. Having said that, I'd be
happy to see the MTB manual superseded--the css in it is close to
insane.

-Christopher